Perinatoloji Dergisi 2004; 12(4): 184-190
Online published date : 1 March 2005

Fetal echocardıography: prenatal ultrasonographıc features and clınıcal outcome

 
Melih Atahan GÜVEN*, Serdar CEYLANER**, Numan AYDEMİR***
 
*Sütçüimam Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Kadın Hastalıkları ve Doğum Anabilim Dalı, Kahramanmaraş, **Zekai Tahir Burak Kadın Sağlığı Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi Genetik Merkezi, Ankara ve ***Siyami Ersek Göğüs Kalp ve Damar Cerrahisi Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, İstanbul.
 

Objective: Our aim was the documentation of the cases with fetal heart malformation that have been diagnosed in Department of Obstetrics and Gyneacology, Faculty of Medicine, Kahramanmaraş Sütçüimam University between December 2003 and December 2004.

Methods: This study includes the patients who admitted to the Department of Obstetrics and Gyneacology during the last year, in their 14th to 35th gestational weeks for routine ultrasonographic control (low risk group, n:300) and/or those who are referred due to abnormal ultrasonographic findings (high risk group, n:300). Ultrasonographic images of cases with cardiac anomalies diagnosed prenatally were recorded and the study is accomplished with detailed postmortem evaluation and gathering of neonatal data.

Results: Thirty-nine patients (7%) had an anomaly. While 9 anomalies (23%) were detected in the low risk group having routine ultrasonography, the remaining 30 (77%) anomalies were among the high-risk group. Cardiac anomalies (n:13, 33%) and neural tube defects (NTD) (n:13, 33%) consist the majority of fetal anomalies. Of 13 patients with fetal cardiac anomaly; 5 (38%) had abnormal cardiac image, 4 (31%) had extra cardiac anomaly on ultrasonography, and one (7%) was referred due to history of a baby with cardiac anomaly in her previous pregnancy (high risk group). Only 3 (24%) patients were in the low risk group and were diagnosed during routine ultrasonography. Nine patients (70%) with fetal cardiac anomaly had abnormal four-chamber view. Among those; 8 (62%) of them were terminated with parent's consent due to intrauterine and postnatal high mortality of chromosomopathy or cardiac anomaly. Chromosomal analysis revealed chromosomal anomalies in 3 (%25) of the 12 patients with cardiac anomalies. The incidence of chromosomal anomalies in fetal cardiac anomalies was especially high with accompanying intracranial anomalies.

Conclusison: Fetal cardiac anomalies consist the most frequently encountered group at our clinic among patients who are screened for congenital anomalies. It must be kept in mind that chromosomal anomalies and additional anomalies, especially intracranial, may accompany this malformation.

 
Keywords

Fetal echocardiography, Fetal cardiac anomalies, Ultrasonography, Pregnancy